[TriLUG] finding a MAC address

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 11:39:28 EDT 2008

Indeed, but managed switches start to pay for themselves as the size of the
business grows.  The ability to QOS alone is worth the cost, depending on
what you're doing of course.

But that's said here's what I'd do:

from a Linux box or Mac.. install nmap and let's just assume for the sale of
argument that your address range is 192.168.1.0/24

(as root): nmap -sP 192.168.1.0/24 | tee /tmp/myscan

look for the MAC address in the output, it should be there.  Directly above
should be the hostname or IP address.

Greg