[TriLUG] Need some help with LDAP

Matthew Pusateri mpusateri at wickedtrails.com
Thu Aug 28 16:38:55 EDT 2008

I've seen several things done.

1. change login name from "user" to "Xuser" where X or XXX is some
combination known only to the admin, this way the user has to know the
new login name.   Yes security through obscurity.  One advantage to
this is you can see who owned the files instead of just seeing a UID
number.
2. change the password.
3. if using samba schema, I believe there is a field to disable in
samba, but I don't know it in front of me.  I know when I use
Directory Administrator to manage the LDAP accounts, I believe it had
a Windows disable check box.  I could be wrong.  Directory
Administrator is one of my favorite LDAP GUI admin tools.
4. If your using the password policy schema, you could set the account
locked out, set the account lockout period to some distant future
date, set the max password attempts and such.
5. make sure you also delete/move/rename and .ssh directories or keys
as ssh keys can bypass PAM.

Matt P.