[TriLUG] TRILUG MEETING - Rolling Your Own: Building a REAL Internet Appliance

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Wed Sep 10 11:01:23 EDT 2008

I just wanted to remind everyone that the September TriLUG
meeting will be tomorrow (Thursday) at Red Hat HQ at 7pm.
See http://www.trilug.org for directions.

This month's topic will be "Rolling Your Own: Building a REAL
Internet Appliance", presented by me.

I will be showing the internet-enabled oven from TMIO.  I
will show how we built our own Linux distro from scratch,
MacGyver style, starting with nothing but a kernel and busybox.
There will be a few demos, including:

- A short promotional video, with cheesy music that sounds like
  it came from a pr0n movie.

- "tmioppix", a customized LiveCD that we used to flash CF cards.

- The obligatory bash session, showing how packages are built.

- A live remote-control demo of the oven.

If you ever felt like your Linux system was bloated, and you
want to see what "bare bones" looks like, this will be a good
one.

Or if you just heard the words "internet oven" and thought "WTF?",
this might answer some questions (and create many, many more).

Alan

.