[TriLUG] Career planning - certs(?)

William Sutton william at trilug.org
Sun Sep 21 23:34:20 EDT 2008

I disagree that anything done at home/in your spare time doesn't count.

What you do at home (or in professional training, etc.) outside of work
should be resume material if it supports your professional skills.  I'm
not a sysadmin (nor do I play one on TV), but my home sysadmin experience
has been useful in professional settings (example:  replicating the
company's production environment onto my Linux workstation as a
development environment).  In fact, "independent study" (as I have
sometimes couched it on my resume) gives you opportunities to add
potentially useful skills (either for the current job *or* for the next
one) that you may not have the opportunity to practice while on the job.

Put it down as independent study.  List it as you would accomplishments at
your place of employment.  If the employer disagrees, that's their loss.

William Sutton