[TriLUG] Career planning - certs(?)

Carl Crider c.crider at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 11:50:33 EDT 2008

 I dunno, it seems that most people hiring (right now, at least) in the "IT
Industry" have
no idea what they want. Most of them want 1 guy to do the job of 10. Oh, not
to mention they want to pay that person half a salary. Some ask for
"certifications or equal experience" ... which is confusing. Not all
SysAdmins are alike.
 I go back and forth on getting "Certs" like the RHCE. I had an MCSE from
2000 that helped very little when the bottom dropped out in 2001. It did
help when I finally landed
a gig running a Windows shop.
 90% of what I've learned about OSS and the inner workings of Linux, I
learned at home in my own lab setup. The other 10% has been leaned on the
job. For instance, I did an interview at Red Hat 4 years ago that I was *NOT
* ready for *at* *all*. Am I ready now? Well,
I'd like to think so. The lab I work in is an all Linux infrastructure and
we test all flavors of Windows/Linux for interoperability. I wouldn't have
gotten this gig without having intermediate Linux skills walking in the
door. Without that knowledge, it would have been impossible to comprehend
the job tasks and to learn more advanced skills.
 Do certifications help? To me, yes, but only if you've actually applied
what you've
learned. You can talk about digging a ditch all day, but if you haven't dug
a ditch then
the talk is just ..... talk. My advice is to dig in and get dirty.

BTW: I am looking for a new gig. If anyone has any "info", email me
off-list.

-Carl