[TriLUG] Help with caching dns server

rvestal at trilug.org rvestal at trilug.org
Wed Sep 24 14:05:51 EDT 2008

Ok, just for clarification, I need to add an additional zone file for each
of the 4 websites I host, all using dyndns "free" names, correct?

Ex:
<snip>
zone "lmr.gotdns.com" {
   type master;
   file "lmr.gotdns.com.zone"
};
</snip>

Then create a new zone file:

<snip>

$TTL 900
@       IN      SOA     ns.mydomain.local. my.email.address. (
                        200809160 ; serial, todays date + todays serial #
                        8H    ; refresh, seconds
                        2H    ; retry, seconds
                        4W    ; expire, seconds
                        900 )   ; minimum, seconds
;
                NS      ns    ; Inet Address of name server

@                        IN   A  127.0.0.1
ns                         IN   A  192.168.0.1
lmr.gotdns.com.   IN   A   192.168.0.2

</snip>

I'm using virtual directories on one server, so each zone file will be
pointing to the same IP. The nameserver and the webserver are different
machines.

Do I understand you correctly?