[TriLUG] TriLUGnet (was New to the area now, and DSL issues)

Cristóbal Palmer cmp at cmpalmer.org
Fri Sep 26 00:46:54 EDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 11:40 PM, Greg Brown <gwbrown1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> "shortest biggest open pipe first" routing scenario D.C. is very close in
> terms of bandwidth and real throughput between peering ISPs.

Peering is the operative word there, yes? TWC and AT&T don't have a
financial incentive to hook up such that two neighbors in Cary have a
four-hop traceroute.

Pretending people will go along with me if I keep the idea of a coop
ISP in the Triangle alive for a bit... what would be the draw for new
members? FTTC? FTTH? Clearly that would mean raising significant
capital, getting right-of-way, digging trenches, etc. etc. Would the
draw instead be low-cost adsl? Would the draw be some added feature,
eg. better-quality VoIP than what you get from TWC? As much as I love
supporting coops (Weaver Street Market comes to mind), we would need
some way of differentiating ourselves in order to get critical mass.

Unless you want to enlist far-sighted folks who happen to work in
local government... get them to champion a project.... [0]

Cheers,
--
Cristóbal M. Palmer
"Small acts of humanity amid the chaos of inhumanity provide hope. But

[0] http://www.wilsonnc.org/living/fiberopticnetwork/