[TriLUG] Career planning - certs(?)

bak bak at picklefactory.org
Fri Sep 26 10:01:46 EDT 2008

Steve Litt wrote:
> On Thursday 25 September 2008 09:02:15 pm wejii at bellsouth.net wrote:
>

>> The RTP market is tough now.  You may be competing against people with
>> Master's degrees ( no exaggeration ).  Go to South Dakota and you might be
>> employed within a week.  It's not impossible here,  just more difficult.
>>

> Is there something about South Dakota I don't know? I thought the Triangle
> area, Boston, Texas and California were THE places to be employed as a
> programmer. I've never heard that said about South Dakota before.
Only that you can't *get* people to move to South Dakota to take your
programming job because who would want to?  If you could find a place
you actually wanted to work in an area like that and you knew your stuff
I'm sure it'd be simple to find a job.

I do actually know a couple folks that do like this sort of thing,
because they can make 10 or 15% less than they would here and move to a
place where the cost of living is 40% lower in the middle of nowhere.

But IMO they're nuts. I *love* the Triangle area.

--bak