[TriLUG] Spamassassin to filter non-US

Cristóbal Palmer cmp at cmpalmer.org
Thu Oct 2 12:07:15 EDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 10:07 AM, Brian Phelps <brphelps at ieee.org> wrote:
> It looks like this doesn't check foreign IP's, which is the real
> problem.  Often its a .com, but the IP is in another country.

If this thread is any indication, a neat list of "foreign" IPs is a unicorn:

http://www.derkeiler.com/Newsgroups/comp.os.linux.security/2005-09/0201.html

Any IP-based approach is going to be an approximation. I really think
better filters and other anti-spam strategies is your answer. The
mandate from above is impracticable in your case. If you must block
IPs, pick some known-foreign ranges (eg. Chinese, Russian) and call it
good, but don't waste time trying to find an exhaustive or
authoritative list.

Cheers,
--
Cristóbal M. Palmer
"Small acts of humanity amid the chaos of inhumanity provide hope. But