[TriLUG] Mesh Networking hardware

Neil L. Little nllittle at embarqmail.com
Wed Oct 29 22:18:40 EDT 2008

I have a project that I have been doing some research on. The goal is to
create a small mesh network that can be used at small business events to
provide internet access. The Internet connectivity will be provided
using one of the wireless 3G WWAN solutions.

Of course, I will not be the one trying to sell this. I am just doing
the research.

Currently, I have two candidates:
1. Meraki ($150 approx)
2. FON (Lafonera) ($30 approx)

Meraki can mesh right out of the box and it will call home and you pay
for a dashboard and other traffic like tools.
FON is a router out of the box and wants to be free and it will call
home as well.

For the FON to mesh it must be reflashed. I have found a firmware
package called ROBIN that uses the BATMAN mesh algorithm and is built on
top of OpenWRT Kamakazi. It is said to be 0-config/Plug-and-Play.

I believe that there is a ROBIN firmware package for Meraki as well

Cost wise the FON has the price advantage allowing 3 or 4 FON devices
for one Meraki device.

I have seen mention of one other device Accont (on something like that)
that I have just seen while googling around the other day that I have
not looked into yet.

Does anyone have experience with either of these devices.
Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.

73,
Neil,WA4AZL
JARS Forever!!
www.jars.net