[TriLUG] A Myth TV question, I think

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 14:38:36 EST 2008

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 2:23 PM, Brian Phelps <brphelps at ieee.org> wrote:
> Non HD, there are cable capture-cards by hauppage.  I set one up once.
>  It was pretty easy.  I only used it for a week or so.  The places you
> get the tables from for programming can be a pain, maybe someone else
> could elaborate who has more experience with this.

If you're referring to getting the information about what's on which channel
at a particular time, that's actually very easy.  You used to have to fill
out a survey every 3 months and then it would automatically get the
data at regular intervals, but too many people abused that (i.e. commercial
programs started abusing it) so now the best place to get the information
isn't free, but it's not expensive either. $20/year gets you all the information
you need from http://www.schedulesdirect.org/ and MythTV will automatically
download the data for you.  You simply enter your username and password into
the MythTV configuration setup and it handles everything else.  (You do have
to pick what schedules you want from the website beforehand.)

I've been using this setup ever since it started a couple of years ago and
it couldn't be simpler.  They offer a 7 day free trial to let people see how
things work, get things setup, etc.. before you have to commit to the cost.

Cheers,
Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace