[TriLUG] Off-topic Netgear wireless print server

David A. Cafaro dac at trilug.org
Sun Nov 16 22:23:41 EST 2008

Yes, I have one of these.  It connects like a client but forwards like
a bridge.  It has it's own IP address and connects via Wireless just
like any other wireless client would (no special bridge setup on your
router needed).  But it is a bridge in that machines connected to the
switch port have access to the rest of the network (though they all
seem to come from the same MAC address, that of the print server) as
well as the Internet.

I was very happy with mine up until I upgraded to WPA2 on my network,
this unit only supports WPA, not WPA2.  Be warned.  Also, if you plan
on using it as a print server be sure to check it's compatibility
list, my old brother laser would not work with it.

So far I haven't found another device like it that supports WPA2, and
yes, I want to use WPA2 as a laptop I have doesn't like WPA, and the
laptop trumps the bridge in this case (and don't even mention WEP).

Cheers,
David

David A. Cafaro <dac at trilug.org> <dac at cafaro.net>
Cafaro's Ramblings:  www.cafaro.net