[TriLUG] 1394 card for a Linux box

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Thu Nov 20 16:34:40 EST 2008

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008, James Jones wrote:

> Joe,
>
> I am happy we have Intrex in the area ( I go to the Old
> Wake Forest Road location). Compared to Tiger Direct a
> couple miles away, Intrex has more of what I want at
> prices better than Tiger Direct and more knowledgeable
> reps.

agree completely. I go to Intrex first. The people are nice,
knowledgeable, helpful and remember me. I give them my money
when I can.

Beats me why they can't test their hardware with Linux. I'd
almost be up for volunteering to go through their hardware
one saturday afternoon and find out for them. You'd only
need to come in once every 3 months after that to keep
the list upto date. The manager seemed reasonable enough
that I thought he might go for it, at least untill he told
me that he had no choice in the hardware he handled.

> It would be nice if we had a "Fry's electronics" in
> Raleigh, but don't think that will happen in my lifetime.
> Looks like the nearest fry's is in Georgia.

I'm on lists where the people who live in an area with
a Fry's can't believe anyone would want one in their area.

> On the 1394 card issue, I purchased one at Intrex and it
> worked perfectly. I had a motherboard failure. Replaced
> the motherboard with a newer one and my 1394 card didn't
> work with it. Could there be other factors other than the
> card itself??

This happens to me. Reordering the PCI cards (or removing
one) sometimes works (I think I have a dual ethernet card
that stops working when I put in an extra disk controller
card). I assume this is a problem of sharing interrupts.
Changing kernels by a couple of the last numbers sometimes
fixes it too. It's all monkey-typewriter-sonnet when you
have to shuffle cards in slots.

Joe