[TriLUG] Not Linux: Anyone else feeling the pain?

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 16:56:18 EST 2008

Great point.  And where would a many a Linux enthusiast be without billable
hours fixing bungled registries, infected machines and mysteries of Windows
domains.

I remember setting up a "super server" for one law firm back in '04.  When I
showed him a single Linux box, and an old one at that with a modest amount
of ram could do - file sharing, print serving, domain controller, wiki
server, database server, mail sever etc, a tear appeared in the corner of
his eye.  Keep in mind this person is a lawyer.  He almost hugged me.  He'd
still be a "client on the side" had he not retired and disbanded his
practice.  At least, as far as technology goes, the last years were good
ones for him.

We take it for granted as geeks but a large portion of society are slaves to
their computers.  They really don't think they have a choice expect to "put
up with it".  A secure, stable windows enviornment IS possible but it costs
a lot of money for someone to keep it that way.  For small businesses Linux
just makes so much more sense.  Even if they never "see the light" for linux
desktops at least we can provide them with secure, stable and robust
servers.

Greg