[TriLUG] CACert

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Wed Dec 3 11:13:21 EST 2008

On Wed, Dec 03, 2008 at 10:48:40AM -0500, Scott Chilcote wrote:
> Brian McCullough wrote:
> > Because of
> > the ( finally ) installation of proper regulations governing CACert, as
> > well as formation of a working Board, all members must re-confirm their
> > agreement with the CACert Community Agreement ( otherwise we won't
> > continue to be members ), and Assurers must pass a new test, to confirm
> > that we are familiar with the rules and regulations governing Assurers.
>
> Hi Brian,
>
> So does this mean we need to do the same thing we did at the trilug
> meeting we had a few years ago - bring two forms of ID and be witnessed?

Not quite that bad, Scott.

As far as I understand, for "normal" members, they need ( would like )
you to log on to the site, and read the CACert Community Agreement and
be aware that by joining the Community ( becoming a member of CACert.org
), you agree to and are bound by the responsibilities of the Community
Agreement.  However, this is still a "work in progress," so I would
recommend that nobody get too stressed about it.

As the first note on the CACert.org web page says:

If you want to have free certificates issued to you, join the  CAcert
Community .

Only members can request certificates from CACert.org.

For those of us "abnormal" types, who went on a bit farther and wished
to become Assurers, yes, the requirements are more stringent.

> Thanks much,
>
> Scott C.

Hope that helps clarify things a bit,
Brian