[TriLUG] "TBA" Course Curriculum and Other Matters

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Mon Dec 8 23:04:52 EST 2008

OK, so we have, at least tentatively, agreed on an "all day" course on
Saturday, 3 January 2009, at ????, to cover in some fashion, the
following topics:   ( Of course, everything is VERY flexible at this
point -- suggest your own topics, things to cover )

History of E-Mail and Web Certificates, Signatures and Encryption
  -- any suggestions for details?
  -- any offers for leaders? ( single, or team? )

Definitions and other Trivia
  -- PKI
  -- CA
  -- PGP
  -- others?

History of PGP and CAcert and How They Relate to Other CAs
  -- Phil Zimmerman, Duane Groth
  -- Organizations, formal or otherwise
  -- Why did CAcert have to become more formal
  -- Audit process -- required by Mozilla
  -- leaders / trainers?

Theory of Webs Of Trust

Theory of X.509 Certificates

Practical use of PGP and X.509 Certificates
  -- Use in E-Mail and Web sites
  -- How to do it yourself -- lab session
  -- need several experienced people as lab supervisors

Assuring party -- probably as part of the Lab, above.

OK, so much for the beginning of a curriculum.

I know that we have people in this organization and sister organizations
( NC*SA, for instance ) who are very competent to help teach any of the
topics in the curriculum.  Volunteers?  Nominees?  I have no real
preference either way for single or multiple instructors.  If you feel
that you could teach a part of one of our topics, I imagine that there
will be others who could fill in the gaps.

Cristobal, as you pointed out, we will need a venue, some form of lunch,
power, network access, perhaps doors ( or prizes ), ???

Brian