[TriLUG] Javascript.. why?

Tim Jowers timjowers at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 10:06:02 EST 2008

A few JavaScript frameworks for review. E.g. jQuery now does fades,
positioning, and such and has many if not more of the same display
widgets as Flash. (I know "widgets" smacks of the old X terminology
but that's what they are being called. It works.)

Dynarach. commercial (LGPL): http://www.dynarch.com/demos/jscalendar/
Dojo/Dijit: http://docs.dojocampus.org/dijit/form/DateTextBox#examples
jQuery: http://ui.jquery.com/repository/tags/latest/demos/functional/#ui.datepicker
Yahoo UI: http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/calendar/popup.html
Extjs: Commercial. http://extjs.com/deploy/dev/examples/locale/multi-lang.html

These abstract out most of the IE nonstandard implementation so you
can just write to the framework and it will work on the major
browsers. Also, it is REALLY exciting to note the JavaScript engines
are being improved drastically. I think Chrome and FF run like 3 times
faster than the older web browsers. Like I said, this is the area of
innovation. Good things should follow.

Who will win?  jQuery? extjs?  jMaki (facade layer)? YUI?  The third
big question in the industry. I know one major company is using extjs
after having performance issues with DOJO early on and another is
using jQuery after having used Scriptalicious and others.

TimJowers