[TriLUG] New Vista laptop needs Linux

James Jones jc.jones at tuftux.com
Mon Dec 15 16:04:23 EST 2008

It appears that this is going to be one of those linux installs that
you read about and hope never happens to you. I burned Ubuntu 8.04 and
attempted to start it as a live cd.

Opening screen with the usual menu. test it, install it, etc worked. I
decide to try the live version and click on that. The Ubuntu splash
screen started, and after more than a couple of screens, it appeared
to start but nothing but a garbage screen. You could use touch pad to
move a blob around on the screen. Screen was nothing but hash marks.

I am assuming that it is a video driver problem. Is there a method of
starting the ubuntu live cd from command line which can specify a vga
driver such as the driver used to show splash screen etc at the
beginning of the ubuntu start?

Before you say it, I will be checking the ubuntu forums on this.

jcj