[TriLUG] New Vista laptop needs Linux

Michael Kimsal mgkimsal at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 10:04:51 EST 2008

And *that* underscores the point that there's very few stores that will let
you do that.  I've been kicked out of both bestbuy and circuit city for
trying that.  TigerDirect seemed to turn a blind eye, but even when I booted
something up, I couldn't tell if the wireless worked or not (ultimately it
did, but ubuntu's wireless UI sucks, so it took way longer to determine that
than it should have).
So, I guess only buy from stores that let you "install" something on a floor
model during working hours.  Perhaps a list of stores that would allow that
would be good to put together.  My guess it that it would be pretty small
 :)

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 9:22 AM, Alan Porter <porter at trilug.org> wrote:

> > I really appreciate all the input on the live cd issues.
>

> I'm glad you got your new lappie working, JC.
>
> This would be a good time to underscore the utility of taking
> a live CD to the store with you.  Klaus Knopper claims that was
> the main motivator for Knoppix.  And it makes good sense.  Test
> drive that box before bringing it home.  This is especially
> true for the traditionally troublesome areas of video and wifi.
>
> Alan
>

> .

Michael Kimsal
http://groovymag.com