[TriLUG] AIR for Linux

Jim Wright wrightjim at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 10:02:45 EST 2008

Thought this might be of interest here....

(From: http://blogs.adobe.com/air/)

A month ago, at our MAX conference in San Francisco, Adobe announced
the immediate availability of the Adobe AIR 1.5 runtime and SDK for
Mac and Windows. However, since the beginning of the AIR project when
the AIR runtime was originally known by its code name Apollo, it has
been our intention to bring the runtime and SDK to the Linux community
as well. Earlier this year we posted a public beta on Adobe Labs and
collected feedback from thousands of users on forums, blogs, Twitter
posts, and our team's feedback form.

Today, we are very pleased to announce the availability of AIR 1.5 for
Linux. Thousands of AIR applications such as Twhirl (a popular Twitter
client), AOL's Top 100 Videos, and Parleys.com, are now available to
millions of Linux users. This announcement also means that web
developers can now use the AIR SDK to create a single desktop
application that works on Linux, Mac, and Windows without any changes.

Download Adobe AIR 1.5 for Linux
Download Adobe AIR 1.5 SDK for Linux

Important note: In order to take advantage of the badge install
feature of AIR, you will need to update to the latest version of the
Flash Player for Linux (10.0.15.3).

As Linux users are well aware, Linux is available in many different
distributions. We decided to focus on three open distributions:
Ubuntu, Fedora, and openSUSE based on feedback from the community.
Please be sure to visit our updated system requirements page for
additional information about the versions of distributions we are
supporting.

Many of us here at Adobe are Linux fanatics and our commitment to the
Linux community is stronger than ever. Adobe is a member of the Linux
Foundation and collaborates with other members of the foundation to
help improve Linux. In the past couple of months, at a product level,
the Flash Player team not only simultaneously shipped Flash Player 10
on Mac, Windows, and Linux, but they also made an alpha version of
Flash Player 10 available for 64-bit Linux distributions on Adobe
Labs. Since the Flash Player is included inside of the AIR runtime,
AIR 1.5 does natively not support 64-bit Linux distributions at this
time. If you are interested in seeing AIR for Linux support 64-bit
distributions, I'd like to encourage you to participate in the Player
10 64-bit prerelease forums and send a note to our team if you would
like to see this support in AIR.