[TriLUG] Textmode on-screen keyboard

Brian Henning lugmail at cheetah.dynip.com
Sat Dec 20 22:17:55 EST 2008

...Anyone ever heard of one?  Googling turns up scads of info about Gnome
and other GUI OSKs, but I need one that'll work in a terminal (along with
gpm).

I've got a couple of situations where an onscreen keyboard would be
tremendously useful:
-- Firewall machine, I can hook up a touchscreen monitor, and not have to
juggle a keyboard and mouse.  (The machine is in the corner of a room...no
desk surface nearby)
-- Old-as-dirt '486 tablet computer [1] where X is a laughing matter.

I've seen a textmode OSK in DOS -- I've got one for when I run the tablet
machine with a DOS image.

Presuming I can find a gpm mouse driver for the touch screen, a textmode OSK
would complete the package very nicely.

Any recommendations?

Cheers,
~Brian