[TriLUG] Family home video dvd Question

James Jones jc.jones at tuftux.com
Wed Dec 24 18:16:02 EST 2008

All,

I burned some family videotapes to dvd. I used kino to edit the
digital video tapes, deeveedee to create the movie iso and k3b to burn
the dvd.

The DVD's play on multiple dvd players on computers, on most dvd
players but some family members have samsung dvd players. The known
playable dvd's will not play on the samsung dvd player. On the
internal dvd menu screen, it begins to load and immediately goes to
stop. No error message on internal screen and only a message on the tv
that says "This dvd cannot be played". ( or words to that effect ).

My thinking is that the player tests for some message to indicate that
it is a commercially made dvd and if it doesn't see that , stops all
action.

Anyone that knows what is going on give me a clue. And if anyone knows
how to make dvds playable on player's that doesn't want to play
homemades, please educate me.

Thanks.

--
Jc Jones