[TriLUG] why can't I dd an audio CD?

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Thu Dec 25 22:13:04 EST 2008

On Thu, 25 Dec 2008, David Black wrote:

> Here's another answer from someone who understands the details better than I:
>
> http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/faq.html#play

This is a lot more complicated than I'd expected. I don't
understand enough about CDs to digest his posting. Neither
can I see why Philips/Sony back in the early days would have
picked such a complicated (non-standard?) format. It can't
have been insanity - there must have been technical reasons
for it.

I would assume then that video DVDs are also different from
data DVDs in much the same ways.

Hats off to the CDparanoia people. They worked it all out.

They posting talks about the difficultly turning bits on the
CD into audio and about the format on the CD, but it doesn't
directly address the problem of why you can't just dd all
the bits, no matter what the represent audiowise.

It must be to do with the absence of positioning and
synchronisation information. When you dd a partition in a
hard disk, the hardware must be told "go to sector 1 which
is at sector x/cyclinder y/head z, now go to sector
2..sector n" and when it gets to the x,y,z position, checks
the sector number found against what it expects. I guess I'd
assumed that the heads were told to go to a list of x,y,z
positions and read whatever was there. Clearly dd must have
some understanding of the low level format of the hardware,
and must look for the low level formatting on the disk
(blocks?) that mke2fs (etc) look for, to put down the inodes
etc.

If this were the case, you wouldn't be able to dd a
completely blank harddisk that didn't have any
sectors/blocks on it, or a disk that had been passed through
an erasing alternating magnetic field.

Still a lot I don't understand here.

Thanks Joe