[TriLUG] New Year's Resolution: Backup my data (backuppc rocks)

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Wed Dec 31 10:00:02 EST 2008

I vote +2 for BackupPC.  I have used it for business and at home.

My home setup uses a discarded 486 PC running Debian with an external
USB hard drive.  It wakes up every hour and decides whether it needs to
back up anything.  In some cases, it can take several hours to back up
some larger filesystems.  But who cares?  It runs continuously and does
its job, every single day.  If one PC is absent (for example, my
laptop), it does not complain -- it just picks another target to back up.

BackupPC has saved my bacon when I had a failed laptop drive, and when I
occasionally deleted files by accident.  If my house is burning down,
that USB HD is the one thing I will grab on my way out the door.

If anyone needs some hand-holding in setting up BackupPC, let me know.
I have some notes that I can share.

Alan

.