[TriLUG] Passwordless SSH

Ron Young ronyoung at nc.rr.com
Mon Jan 5 15:59:49 EST 2009

All,
I have been trying unsuccessfully to get passwordless ssh working between
two CentOS servers here at home...just for the knowledge and experience.

One is running release 4.7 and the other 5.2 of CentOS.

I have created and exchanged rsa keys in each direction.  I have the
sshd_config files set to use Protocol 2.  I am not prompted for a password
when going from the old server to the new.  But I am prompted for the
password when doing ssh from the new server to the old.

The /etc/ssh/sshd_config files are nearly identical on both servers.  I have
included the diff below:

1c1
< #     $OpenBSD: sshd_config,v 1.73 2005/12/06 22:38:28 reyk Exp $
---
> #     $OpenBSD: sshd_config,v 1.69 2004/05/23 23:59:53 dtucker Exp $
14d13
< #Protocol 2,1
16d14
< #AddressFamily any
31c29
< # obsoletes QuietMode and FascistLogging
---
> #obsoletes QuietMode and FascistLogging
90,91c88,89
< AcceptEnv LANG LC_CTYPE LC_NUMERIC LC_TIME LC_COLLATE LC_MONETARY
LC_MESSAGES
< AcceptEnv LC_PAPER LC_NAME LC_ADDRESS LC_TELEPHONE LC_MEASUREMENT
---
> AcceptEnv LANG LC_CTYPE LC_NUMERIC LC_TIME LC_COLLATE LC_MONETARY
LC_MESSAGES
> AcceptEnv LC_PAPER LC_NAME LC_ADDRESS LC_TELEPHONE LC_MEASUREMENT
92a91

105c104
< #Compression delayed
---
> #Compression yes
108d106
< #ShowPatchLevel no
112c110
< #PermitTunnel no
---
> #ShowPatchLevel no

Any insight/knowledge about this issue would surely be appreciated!

Ron Young
919-621-9015