[TriLUG] software raid failures?

Brian Daniels bitmage at pobox.com
Tue Jan 13 15:19:16 EST 2009

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 03:13:02PM -0500, Cristóbal Palmer wrote:
> Anybody here ever lost data because of a problem with Linux software
> raid? If so, please describe the circumstances. Now, of course you had
> separate, off-site backups, so you probably only lost a day's worth of
> data when this happened, but...

The only issue I've had with software raid vs hardware is lockups.  A
misbehaving drive on a software raid can bring the IDE bus to a halt.  Hardware
cards (should) lock out the bad drive and keep things going.

Beware that many hardware RAID cards aren't, really.  See:
http://linux-ata.org/faq-sata-raid.html

--Brian

--
Be it thy course to busy giddy minds
With foreign quarrels; that action, hence borne out,

Brian Daniels                  bitmage at pobox.com
      http://www.eviloverlord.net