[TriLUG] Sendmail questions:

Ron Young ronyoung at nc.rr.com
Wed Jan 14 22:27:10 EST 2009

I have a situation where we need to send about 800 emails to a customer list
about every quarter.  The email server is located at a commercial site,
iPower that also hosts the web site.  They have a 500 email per hour limit
when they lock the email account.
The software we are using to manage the shop and send these emails is
specific to the industry and wants to send them all in a batch without
stopping.
I am placing a CentOS box in the shop soon and wondered if I could get
sendmail to accept the emails from this windoze program and send say 300
emails to the upstream hosting site and then wait a little over an hour and
send 300 more, etc. until the whole list for that batch is sent?

Or is there an even better way to do that?

One fear that I have is that if I set up a mail domain (or whatever you call
it) that runs strictly on the shop linux box then I run the risk of getting
on blacklists when we do these batch emailings.

I have never set up or administered a sendmail server but am willing, even
eager to learn.  I would also like it to be an outbound server only and
never receive email so I don't have to mess with spamassassin, etc.

Thanks in advance to all for the benefit of your knowledge and experience.

Ron Young
919-621-9015