[TriLUG] Ubuntu vs Fedora, was Re: Linux Distribution for server Opinions

Maxwell Spangler maxpublic08 at maxwellspangler.com
Fri Jan 23 11:45:51 EST 2009

On Fri, 2009-01-23 at 11:29 -0500, Paul McLanahan wrote:

> I will say that I believe Ubuntu is easier to learn how to use for
> someone new to Linux. I think it does a nice job of easing you into
> the whole idea of Linux, and then also getting out of your way when
> you want to start poking around under the hood, compiling kernels, and
> using a different window manager.

Yes, this is what I hear over and over again.  That Ubuntu is so
amazingly easy to use, and yet when I go looking for measurable
differences I find very little.  I don't find lack of quality, just a
lack of superiority to match the enthusiasm its users express.

For example, when I log into Ubuntu I get the same menu system as
Fedora: GNOME -- something that neither Ubuntu or Fedora can really
claim as their own innovation to be different.  I see the placement of
things differently: something might be under Accessories instead of
Sound/Video, but that's not significant.

But I have yet to really try it, so I am open minded to what I might be
missing!

--
Maxwell Spangler
Research Triangle Park, NC, USA