[TriLUG] Ubuntu vs Fedora, was Re: Linux Distribution for server Opinions

Greg Cox glcox at pobox.com
Fri Jan 23 12:19:11 EST 2009

> Functionally, Apache is Apache is Apache whether running on Ubuntu or
> Windows. So, a lot of the arguments boil down to personal preference
> like Ford and Chevy.

To a point.  If you're doing net services, this holds.  If you've got
non-SA users logging in, it's a little more questionable whether libraries
and binaries will be in the 'right' spot or be exactly the 'right' versioning
level, which might guide your flavor choice, probably towards RHEL/CentOS
in larger environments.

At the risk of kicking off DistroWarz '09, I -would- make the argument
that no server* should run Gentoo.  I can't fathom a reason that a
production server should have a compiler installed (and, by the notion
that staging and dev should mirror prod, none of the rest should either).

*Naturally, I'm referring to something that's doing Real Work(tm), not
so much the "I have all my toonz on teh linux, I am l33t storage admin"
one-dude-running-one-old-hacked-together-'server'.