[TriLUG] Linux Distribution for server Opinions

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Mon Jan 26 13:04:51 EST 2009

I've seen many strides in the world of CentOS. I personally use CentOS
on everything. I use it as a desktop, laptop (see my "Installing
CentOS 5 on Thinkpad T60 on http://www.thinkwiki.org), and servers.

The Live CD (both Gnome and KDE) work well. The one thing they do
*not* offer is to install from the Live CD. The wiki explains this as
following the "project plan" to follow the well known rpm based distro
they "whitebox", but they explain how an end user can take the live CD
on the internet, using Fedora tools, and get it to install. (see http://wiki.centos.org
  for more info)

The big thing that Ubuntu has that other distros don't is how involved
the user forums are involved.

What's funny is I haven't seen Mandriva (formerly Mandrake) as part of
this discussion. When I got into the linux game all those years ago,
Mandrake was the big "easy to use" distro.

Anywho, I'm not saying you "must" use CentOS, but I'd suggest you try
it out.

Remember, CentOS is not Ubuntu, and Ubuntu is not CentOS. Use what you
like. :)