[TriLUG] Ubuntu vs Fedora, was Re: Linux Distribution for server Opinions

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Mon Jan 26 13:20:35 EST 2009

+1. However, I do not like GNOME personally, so I have tried out the
Fedora/CentOS KDE LiveCD's and the Kubuntu and other Knoppix clones.
Other than eyecandy, it's very much the same.

One thing I do not like about Ubuntu that I like about CentOS and
Fedora, I can download rpms from other RHEL compatible linux clones
and use yum and EPEL and RPMForge addon repositories to install and
resolve the dependencies of these rpms.

When trying to download deb packages and add them to Ubuntu, I've had
issues getting dependency resolution. However the same package to a
true Debian install (playing with Etch atm) these get resolved by apt.

<shrugs> Could be the package or the user. Probably the latter. :P