[TriLUG] Hard Drive Docks - OT

Maxwell Spangler maxpublic08 at maxwellspangler.com
Thu Jan 29 15:09:45 EST 2009

On Thu, 2009-01-29 at 13:30 -0500, Ron Young wrote:
> Has anyone had any experience with external HD docks?  An acquaintance
> suggested that I could get two large hard drives, stick one of them in the
> dock, back up my linux and windows machines to it and then take the drive
> offsite (like a safe deposit box) until time for the next backup and then
> rotate the HDs.
> Newegg has a WD 1TB HD for $99 and was again intrigued with the dock idea.

I haven't used these, sorry.  Their a neat idea that seemed to appear
when SATA brought a plug-in connection for hard drives to the home
market.

Before you buy two drives and one dock, you should browse the external
enclosures available on newegg.  For a reasonable amount more than the
price of one dock you can get two enclosures.

If you had more SATA drives that needed to be swapped on a regular
basis, I'd go that route.

--
Maxwell Spangler
Research Triangle Park, NC, USA