[TriLUG] MythTV

Josh Vickery josh at vickeryj.com
Thu Feb 5 07:34:52 EST 2009

> Does the HDHomeRun receiving QAM get all channels but the pay channels
> like HBO?
Only the unencrypted ones.

> Would I be getting the locals in HD as well as the major cable networks
> like CNN, etc, in HD?
I believe most (all?) of the channels outside of Time Warner's "basic"
cable range are encrypted, and therefore won't work without a
cable-card, which is currently not available for anything except for
devices approved by Cable Labs. Approved devices include TVs, HD Tivo
and pre-built media center machines. Cable-cards are only available
from Time Warner as a rental, not for purchase.

If you want to record encrypted HD with MythTV one of the very few
options available is the HD PVR from Hauppage
(http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html). It has
support in MythTV (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_HD-PVR) but
that support is relatively new, and the pricetag on the device is
high.