[TriLUG] CAcert meeting -- how to prepare

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Thu Feb 5 14:45:53 EST 2009

> I'm not trying to a wiseguy...

For some of us, it comes naturally.

> but is the certificate supposed to trigger
> the 'invalid certificate' warning?

On my browser, I get a blue passport man icon, and it says
the site is verified by CAcert.

But that is because I imported CAcert's root certificate
into my browser.  The big push right now is to get this
root certificate included into the major browsers by
default.

I think Debian might include it in their version of Firefox...
oops, I mean Iceweasel, or was that FrostFerret?  I swear,
those idiots drove me away from Debian and right into the
welcoming arms of Ubuntu.  But I digress.

If you import CAcert's root certificate, you will not get
the yellow passport man icon.

http://www.cacert.org/index.php?id=3

This is the root of the debate about CAcert... it's VERY
CLOSE to being awesome.  They just need that final step of
being included in mainstream browsers.

Next week's meeting promises to be lively.  :-)

Alan

.