[TriLUG] Stupid Router

Neil L. Little nllittle at embarqmail.com
Sun Feb 15 00:38:56 EST 2009

Yeah Cisco took the WRT45GS an changed the chipset and halved the
memory. All of a sudden folks couldnt reflash their routers. There was a
great media storm caused by that and they ended up respinning the WRT45G
in the form of a hobby version called WRT45GL (for Linux).

Last I heard the firmware for the GS has been reverse engineered and can
now be reflashed but trying to revert the factory firmware will brick
the unit.

There is a large section on hardware compatibility on the OpenWRT wiki
just for that.

I have taken to selecting the embedded devices that I purchase these
days based on the availability of alternate firmware.

73,
Neil, WA4AZL
JARS Forever!!
www.jars.net