[TriLUG] Debian on PowerMac G4

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 14:19:04 EST 2009

Weave,

If you really want to take all the stress out of running your own email
server, I can highly recommend Google Hosted Applications.  They
handle all the email server stuff and provide, in addition to the GMail
web interface, POP3 and IMAP access (all three of which work *very*
well with both Debian and Ubuntu).  Life is just too short to deal with
running your own mail server (and all the spam avoidance that incurs).

Cheers,
Tanner

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 10:48 AM, Brian Weaver <cmdrclueless at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks all. Turns out I did have a spare x86 based machine in a corner
> that I had forgotten about. I'm working on recovering and moving me
> setup to the slightly less than ancient machine ;-). I'm normally not
> squeamish about recompiling the kernel and other packages. But this
> time the less work I have to do the faster I can have my replacement
> back online. Since it's my primary mail processing system
> (postfix+procmail+dbmail/imap) I'd like to have it working sooner
> rather than later.
>
> I'll leave the G4 system for later when I have more time to try LInux
> on it without any stress of getting mine and my wife's e-mail back
> online.
>
> -- Brian
>
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 10:41 AM, Paul McLanahan <pmclanahan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I installed Debian a few months ago on a G4 Mac Mini and had no issues. It's
>> a simple(er) machine, granted, but from what I recall it "just worked."
>> Good luck,
>>
>> Paul
>>

>> --
>> "When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to
>> be bought and sold are legislators."
>> - P. J. O'Rourke
>> --

> /* insert witty comment here */