[TriLUG] "IP Passthrough" and AT&T 1-Wire

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Fri Mar 20 07:43:53 EDT 2009

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 12:03:47AM -0400, Rob Lockhart wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 16:42, Brian McCullough <bdmc at bdmcc-us.com> wrote:
>
> > This makes my original question much less critical, although I would
> > still appreciate some guidance there.
> >
> I'm assuming you mean regarding setting the modem to bridge mode?  I.e., let
> PPPoE be handled by your NAT router.  Unfortunately, I have only used the
> overly-complicated 2-Wire 3700 and 3800 HGV-B (what is being deployed today
> with U-verse) at work, and my instructions for setting that up may not be
> identical to what you need.  I was hoping there were some docs somewhere on
> the dslreports website.  Sure enough, searching their site only showed a few
> hits for 2-Wire 2701, but google was my friend:

Yes, I found a pointer to an "FAQ" which told how to put the 2701HG-B
into bridge mode, and some of what I read there reminded me of how I had
set up the OpenBSD box to do PPPoE with somebody else in the past.

I still haven't done anything yet, but expect to try the new box
sometime soon.  I have also taken another suggestion, and bought a box
for the outside of the house, to split the DSL from the voice lines. ( I
expect it in the mail one of these days. )

> Hope that helps.
>   -Rob
>
> P.S. sorry for the late reply, been hell at work...

I understand the problem.  Unfortunately these "in-house" infrastructure
projects have to take a back seat to trying to earn money.  At the
moment, even though I have people asking me to help them out, they
aren't actually paying customers, so it doesn't help the bottom line!

Thanks,
Brian