[TriLUG] [OT] motorcycles

Tarus Balog tarus at opennms.org
Fri Mar 27 11:15:05 EDT 2009

On Mar 27, 2009, at 10:33 AM, Jim Ray wrote:

> I used to ride a Harley soft tail custom and now ride a BMW K75S. It
> is
> old and slow just like me yet outperforms the Harley even with half
> the
> engine displacement (Harley was 1320 cc, BMW is 740 cc) and has a lot
> less vibration. Harley is more cool for sound. BMW is more cool for
> nice
> ride.

The K75 is one of the smoothest bikes I've ever ridden. Like sitting
in a chair. My wife owned one and we used to ride a lot - Key West,
etc. I was on a R100.

Without knowing more about how Warren wants to ride, it is hard to
make a recommendation. I now ride a BMW R1200C - the "Bond" bike or
otherwise known as BMW's cruiser. While I wouldn't hesitate to take it
on a long trip, it works better for me as a commuter bike (I rarely
ride more than 100 miles in a day - usually more like 20). I did put
on some ginormous side cases so I could carry my laptop bag.

While I like my BMW, the newer models don't speak to me as much as the
older bikes did. I still think the 1991 K100RS in white is one of the
nicest bikes ever made.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1c/1991K100RS-36.jpg

Note that with BMWs you can expect high mileage. I've known a number
of bikes going strong with 100K on the clock. With other brands
mileage is more of a factor. Also, BMWs are known for having a high
seat height, so depending on your stature you might not be comfortable
on one.

Warren - let us know what you finally get.

-T
Tarus Balog, OpenNMS Maintainer             Main:   +1 919 533 0160
The OpenNMS Group, Inc.                     Fax:    +1 919 533 4342
Email: tarus at opennms.org                    URL: http://www.opennms.org
PGP Key Fingerprint: 8945 8521 9771 FEC9 5481  512B FECA 11D2 FD82 B45C