[TriLUG] [OT] motorcycles

mgmonza mgmonza at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 18:54:35 EDT 2009

>> Warren doesn't say how much exexperience he has on bikes. I found riding
>> long distances (>100miles) tiring as you must pay attention to balance,
>> condition of the road, etc all the time, while a car you don't have to worry
>> about it so much.
>>
>> Joe

My experience was that a bike was less tiring than a car, especially in
the twisties, just because I had take in a lot more of the environment a
lot more of the time.  That was one of the things that made riding
preferable to driving, IMO.  There is the saying that the only three
reasons to get a sound system on a bike are Kansas, Nebraska and Arkansas.

Also second the recommendation for Motorcycle Safety Foundation classes,
and good protective gear.  And  dirt bikes are great for learning
two-wheeled stuff without having to play in traffic.

One other recommendation -  don't even get on an Italian bike unless
you're prepared to do a  lot of work yourself or you have a lot of $$.
My mechanic had BMW sport tourers and smirked about how all he ever had
to replace on his bike was the battery, usually right after he'd cleaned
out my bank account.