[TriLUG] [OT] motorcycles

David Black dave at jamsoft.com
Tue Mar 31 12:17:15 EDT 2009

I've been riding on the street for about 24 yrs. and spent a couple years in the dirt before that.
Learning how to handle a bike in the dirt and at the edge of its capabilities was invaluable.  On the street that experience saved my hide more than once, e.g. both wheels locked panic stop.

Through the years MSF ERCs (experienced rider courses) have also been good to take every so often - to refresh skills and reinforce good habits needed to stay alive and well.

Not riding nearly as many miles these days, my '85 500 Interceptor is still a joy as a city commute and short day trip platform.   The engine size and buzzy-ness makes a significant difference in long hauls: bigger motor = better.  The VF500F is relatively smooth but still tachs 6400 or so at 65 mph.  A larger motor works less hard and somehow that translates into a more restful ride.  Last, if I ever take a long trip on a cruiser again, it'll be with a back rest.  :-)  Otherwise, the slightly canted forward position of universal bikes and moderate sportbikes works surprisingly well for a lot of situations.

Dave