[TriLUG] bash weirdness

stan briggs stan at stanbriggs.com
Mon Apr 6 16:45:30 EDT 2009

all,

i'm trying to get a series of commands to execute with a bash shell.
someting like this:
line="dpkg -l > all-packages.txt"
which i then try to execute with
$line
`$line`
output=`$line`.
none seem to execute the command. i'm guessing it has to do with the pipe
symbol and explains why similar commands with shell re-directs in them fail,
also.

can anyone point me to a good reference that explains this?

thanks,
stan

--
Stan B. Briggs