[TriLUG] OOo, PDF and Lulu

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Mon Apr 13 11:08:39 EDT 2009

On Monday 13 April 2009 08:21:12 am Tim Jowers wrote:
> No need for .dork files!  Linux can do it all.
>
>   Print to ps file and ps2pdf.  I've done it for several books and
> released them through LuLu. Oo Writer is a very great tool for writing
> books.

Opinions vary on that. I wouldn't use OO to write books if it was the last
software on the planet, because when I tried, it kept silently and
surprisingly changing my styles. I've written a book in MS Word and would
prefer that to OO.

Luckily, those aren't my only choices. I use LyX to write all my books. It's a
free software front end to free software LaTeX so it gives you the best of
both worlds -- LaTeX's superior typesetting, and a GUI WYSIWYG
(approximately) interface consistent with 2000 words per day.

Another LyX benefit is a simple and parsable all-text native format. I author
a lot of my book in VimOutliner for speed in (re)structuring, and then run a
simple script to turn it into LyX native format, and continue writing the
book in LyX.

I'm aware that the original poster has already written the book in OO and
isn't about to change horses now, I'm just trying to point out that there's
an alternative I consider A LOT better.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package