[TriLUG] Web Ninja(Developer) Job near RDU

Cristóbal Palmer cmp at cmpalmer.org
Wed Apr 15 21:41:03 EDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 8:59 PM, Tanner Lovelace <clubjuggler at gmail.com> wrote:
>> You should also love Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
>
> It doesn't apply to religious institutions, at least so far as the part
> about discriminating on the basis of religion.

It also doesn't apply to employers with fewer than 15 employees, and
we have no indication that this particular web shop has 15 or more
employees. Check out this (state level) age discrimination case, for
example:

http://www.aoc.state.nc.us/www/public/coa/opinions/2005/041005-1.htm

Mr. Cox has apparently let his emotions cloud his judgment, and it is
indeed most uncool that someone or some people have taken it upon
themselves to get the craigslist post removed. I wish the OP the best
of luck in filling the position and would like to apologize for the
ugly reception here on this list.

Having said that, I would encourage the OP to make some statement
about compliance with the law in future job postings to preëmptively
close the door on accusations like those made by Mr. Cox.

I'm especially disappointed in the reaction because this sounds like a
great job and a great place to work. I wish more web shops had a
strongly-stated commitment to standards.

Cheers,
--
Cristóbal M. Palmer
"The fun thing is to try to persuade others to share your opinions