[TriLUG] Web Ninja(Developer) Job near RDU

Greg Cox glcox at pobox.com
Thu Apr 16 09:27:14 EDT 2009

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009, Lee Fickenscher wrote:

> The mention of Jesus was in the preamble and thus IMHO more of a "hey, this
> is what we do so if you have a problem with it this probably isn't the job
> for you".

So close to the point, and yet so far.

The original line was: "You should also love Jesus and be devoted to
advancing His ministries (our clients)."

You do need to show up and not rock the boat by causing workplace strife.
You don't need to love Jesus to be on board with advancing ministries.
When you say that you do in order to be hired, that is illegal.

This isn't about disliking religion, and never has been (at least from
me; others have gone down that road).  It's about workplace fairness.

Now, someone who is Christian is -quite likely- the best fit for this
position, because they'll say the right things and show the right level
of entheusiasm at the right points in an interview.  But when you SAY IT
as part of your ad, it's prejudicial, and you may as well say, "we only
hire cracka-ass crackas, and oh yeah, no chicks."

It's a marketing firm.  Shirley someone can there can write a better pitch.