[TriLUG] OT: Crowdsourcing in fiction

Tom Eisenmenger teisenmenger at charter.net
Sun Apr 19 14:24:33 EDT 2009

Hello all,

I'm preparing a presentation on human computation and, to introduce the
idea, want to present a scenario that sets the tone of the talk.  I seem to
remember a scene in a "cyberpunk" short story or novel where the author
speaks of a near future where a popular viral cellphone game is, in fact,
helping researchers develop a cure or sequence DNA.  Problem is, I read the
passage years ago and have long forgotten its source.  Could have been
Gibson, maybe Stephenson, possibly Sterling - who knows?  I suspect a
sizeable percentage of list members have read some (if not all) of these
authors' works ;-)  If there's anyone out there who can help me remember,
I'd appreciate it!

Thanks,

Tom