[TriLUG] Intermittent dovecot problem

Brian Henning Brian.Henning at datadirect.com
Wed Apr 22 15:02:24 EDT 2009

Hi gang,

I just started up a new mail server with dovecot powering POP3 access to
user mail.  On just one of the accounts, I have been getting the
following messages in dovecot's log (and Outlook [hush!] reports
"Username/password rejected" which is of course inaccurate):

dovecot: Apr 21 20:34:45 Error: POP3(xxx at xxx.com): open(/var/mail/xxx,
O_CREAT) failed: Permission denied
dovecot: Apr 21 20:34:45 Error: POP3(xxx at xxx.com): access() failed with
mbox file /var/mail/xxx: No such file or directory
dovecot: Apr 21 20:34:45 Error: POP3(xxx at xxx.com): stat() failed with
mbox file /var/mail/xxx: No such file or directory
dovecot: Apr 21 20:34:45 Error: POP3(xxx at xxx.com): Couldn't init INBOX:
Can't sync mailbox: Messages keep getting expunged
dovecot: Apr 21 20:34:45 Info: POP3(xxx at xxx.com): Mailbox init failed
top=0/0, retr=0/0, del=0/0, size=0

I took a look, and indeed /var/mail/xxx did not exist (so I touched it
back into existence and set its ownership/permissions to 660 xxx:mail)

Strange thing is how it's intermittent.  Doesn't happen every time.  I
did some Googling but so far all I've found hasn't been very helpful..

Dovecot version is 1.0.7

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance..
~Brian

Brian A. Henning
   DataDirect
Support Engineer
  888-332-6797
Find answers in our new knowledgebase:
http://cp-datadirect.talismaonline.com/display/4/search.aspx?tab=search

Download patches and manage support cases online:
http://www.datadirect.com/support/troubleshooting/reportacase/index.ssp