[TriLUG] Anybody know where I can find an 8.9" netbook running linux (with non-SSD-HD)

AM Thomas am at virtueofthesmall.com
Thu Apr 23 17:14:37 EDT 2009

Hello there TriLUG,

I've checked everywhere I can think of and have had zero success.  Sorry
to bug the list about this, especially since I've only ever attended two
meetings several years ago, but I'm really stuck on this one and local
wisdom is what I need.  Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

I'm pretty sure I want an Acer Aspire 1 or Asus 900[HD|HA] or
904[HD|HA].  I want to buy/try at a bricks-and-mortar store, but
everybody seems only to carry units with Windows installed.  I know I
could install a downloaded distro, but I'm a) interested in using what
comes preinstalled, and b) not really wanting to spend the extra time to
research/install right now.  In short, I'm fairly certain about what I
want, I just want to hold the thing in my hand and do a few tests before
I commit.

I've checked:
   Staples
   Craigslist  (used is fine)
   Intrex
   Target
   Best Buy
   Office Depot
   Sam's Club
   TigerDirect / CompUSA
   CostCo (I think I only looked at their web site, and I may have
missed something)

Haven't yet checked WalMart, but would prefer to avoid it.  Sam's Club
was a bit of an act of desperation (plus it was right next to Office Depot).

I also want a standard HD, not an SSD drive, FWIW.  I plan to cart
around a significant amount of data while traveling for a few weeks, and
don't want to have to pack an extra drive.  I've also heard that SSD
drives have other disadvantages.

Thanks in advance for any help,
AM Thomas