[TriLUG] SSN for job apps?

Carl Crider c.crider at gmail.com
Thu May 7 12:35:44 EDT 2009

 Ok, maybe I missed something while being in this contract for the
last couple of years. I'm getting calls for a contract with AT&T in
Durham. The reps are nice and they have been able to answer all of my
questions thoroughly. However, they tell me that AT&T will not submit
my application/resume without my SSN. Something to do with being able
to check re-hire status for past employees. If you ask me, it sounds
fishy. I don't give my number out to anyone, through email, over the
phone, etc. When they have asked me at the bank, I write it down and
show it to the teller instead of saying it out loud.

 Please, someone out there give me some input on this. This can't be
the new way of doing business. If it is, I'm going to do something
else. With the economy's current "level of suck", identity theft is
big business all over again.

"I am not a number .... I'm a free man."

thnx

--
Carl Crider
c.crider at gmail.com