[TriLUG] [OT] What's the value of IT?

Tim Jowers timjowers at gmail.com
Mon May 11 13:58:56 EDT 2009

Another point many people fail to grasp is bad IT decisions bleed a
company over a period of a few decades. When those doors close, its
because of bad business decisions made for the past decades. Some
CIO's are like the current crop of Fortune 1000 execs and just riding
the company into the ground; but, most places I've worked the people
the the top get the value proposition and will even take a phone call
from a lackey and act on it while the people in the middle of the IT
pile are often just trying to CYA. I'm reminded of a story of a major
telco where I called the VP of IT and sent her a book and told her she
could save the company millions by leveraging JBoss, Linux, and
considering other Open Source products. A few months later I heard of
the local IT guys being asked to do an analysis of MySQL instead of
Oracle and JBoss instead of WebLogic. They didn't. The first sent in
that darn study on the web which is like 6 years old now (4+ at that
time!) and never even installed MySQL while the other I don't think
ever even installed JBoss and, as he wasn't a programmer, didn't have
the qualifications to make the decision. MySQL would not have been a
fit due to the over-use of PL-SQL but other groups in the telco had
already moved to JBoss and JBoss even had a migration kit from
WebLogic. Besides WebLogic was coming to EOL due to Java 1.4 EOL so
the company had to upgrade anyways.  My point is, bad IT decisions in
the middle of the cake bleed a company dry over time and can cost a
company more in licensing fees than the salaries of the people making
the decisions. In IT, I still see a real lack of knowledge about
industry trends and a culture of not really thinking about what is
best for the company but only what the IT person likes/knows.

I guess you'll need some coverage on developers being squashed under
the "Security" monster. The basic scenario I've seen in many large
companies is the virus checkers, disk encrypters, you name it layers
make it almost impossible to get real work done. The "IT" department
holds too heavy a hand and lacks adroitness. Clearly, the "dangerous"
developers need to work in their own sandboxed network. Reminds me of
a coworker who was told he could no longer plug his Apple into the
LAN. So, he worked from home mostly. When a company where I worked
installed the latest Microsoft Office, I almost wrote a letter to the
CEO. What a total waste of money AFAICT. Let the blood-letting
continue...

TimJowers