[TriLUG] [OT] Thumbs down and a BOOO to M$ and Asus -- IMO

William Sutton william at trilug.org
Fri May 29 11:17:20 EDT 2009

Ever since cmdrtaco and hemos sold /. to Andover.net years ago, I've
wondered just how much influence they really have there.  For example, the
whole "/. PT Cruiser" fiasco was quite as surprising (and undesirable) to
them as it was to most other /. regulars.

I can't claim to be a regular back to the "Chips and Dips" days, but I was
reading /. before there were login accounts.  I actually boycotted getting
an account for a couple of months after they were announced, and still
have a 3-digit account number.  I was one of the individuals picked for
the second round of moderators (when they had assigned moderators based on
careful observation of said moderator's posting and general behavior).
Even then, they were fighting a losing battle against trolls and general
idiots.

Over the years, the number of trolls, idiots, and juvenile (in the
perjorative sense) posters has increased.  Several years ago, I made the
decision to stop reading /. due to their presence and the more frequent
re-posting of stories.  Frankly, I don't think I'm missing anything.

William Sutton